Knowledge Exchange | Networking | Think Tank
For specific questions please contact us by e-mail: international(at)bwb.gv.at
Cooperation between the federal competition authorities all over the world is very important to combat cartels and the abuse of market power. Exchange of experience and information on cases of merger among case-handlers enables a consistent progress of the required skills.
An obvious benefit of international cooperation are the networking opportunities, which are necessary for building relationships based on trust among competition authorities and other international organizations. These relationships aid to strengthen the position of competition authorities, which are regularly faced with businesses operating globally and as a consequence cross-border cooperation in antitrust investigations are frequently required.
Regularly creating a think tank on an international level enhances the probability of finding a common approach in order to promote the exchange of case-related information and evidence, effective enforcement, investigatory assistance, to debate high-quality decision-making, and to overcome jurisdictional obstacles.
Therefore, the Austrian Competition Authority puts emphasis on intensifyinginternational cooperation with other federal competition authorities by signing memorandum of understandings and as well cooperating with other international organizations.
Current international cooperation:
- Bilateral Agreements
- European Competition Authorities (ECA)
- Euro-Mediterranean Competition Forum (EMCF)
- Central European Competition Initiative (CECI)
- International Competition Network (ICN)
- Marchfeld Competition Forum (MCF)
- Network of European Competition Authorities (ECN)
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Twinning with the Moldovan Competition Authority
- United Nation Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)